. > ...
the history of Leyton and Leytonstone
from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces
To cope with the urgent shortage of housing after the air raids of the Second World War, the government co-ordinated construction and installation of ‘prefabs’ (bungalows assembled on site from factory-made sections). Leyton’s first were built on Epping Forest land by Whipps Cross Road : 136 of them for 2 years use. More were built bungalow-style for 10 years use, at ‘Porters Shoot’ on the Marshes off Lea Bridge Road and elsewhere. In late 1963, the Council owned 3,002 dwellings 2.
In 1951 only 30% of residential properties in Leyton were fully provided with piped water, water closet and bath, fixed cooking stove and kitchen sink 3. Warner Estates aimed at a high standard of property and tenant but had not built bathrooms in their properties. One person remembers that the family in which he grew up in the 1920s “had to have a separate tin bath” in the kitchen 1. In 1961 only 40% of Leyton households had exclusive use of a cold water tap, a fixed bath and toilet 4.
1 WFOHW interview reference number 377