the bottom drawer
recollections, photos and memorabilia of Leyton and Leytonstone
The ‘Rocket Alley Tea Party’ held in Harvey Road. On 27th October 1944 three people were killed at widely spaced addresses in the street, and another three in Mornington Road (which crosses Harvey Road) in a V2 rocket impact. This photo was supplied by Terry Owens, who points out that the trees had been painted black for the blackout precautions, and someone at the party was still in uniform. The houses most severely damaged were replaced in 1951 with Council flats.
Harvey Road was first occupied some time in 1870 or 1871. It was named after Henry Martin Harvey, a Churchwarden of St. John’s Church, Leytonstone, who married Dorothy Anne, daughter of William Davis of the Pastures, Davies Lane. They lived in a house on whose grounds this road is built.