. > ...

Visit the main website of Leyton & Leytonstone Historical Society

About footnotes in . > ...

Have your say

the history of Leyton and Leytonstone

from . dot to … dots – with plenty of spaces

.>... contents Previous (left) Next (right) Next (right)

air quality

Use of coal and coke for heating, cooking and industrial processes was ubiquitous.  Refuse collected by the Council included rakings from coal fires which still contained combustible material when burnt in an incinerator.  The ‘dust destructor’ started operation by Auckland Road on 1st October 1896.  It had 4 pairs of furnaces burning the Council’s refuse in continuous operation.  The heat generated the power for the sewage works’ steam engines 1.  The refuse was reduced to about 25% to 30% in a hard clinker form which was sold. The 1885 building and 1897 pumps at the Walthamstow equivalent survive as part of the E17 Pump House Steam & Transport Museum, South Access Road.

chimney pots

Prevailing south-westerly winds blew smoke from London towards Leyton.  

1  Leyton Urban District Council.  Surveyor's Report for the Year ending 31st March, 1897

the later Victorian and Edwardian times 1890 to 1919

Section contents
next page